Excel has a whole lot of instruments that may allow you to calculate values based mostly on knowledge that you just’ve entered. You’ve in all probability had so as to add up values in Excel earlier than, or possibly even calculate a mean, however there’s much more that you are able to do with numerical values that you’ve entered right into a spreadsheet.
One different factor that you are able to do is calculate somebody’s age based mostly on a birthdate that’s been entered right into a cell. Our tutorial beneath will present you the system that permits you to take a birthdate and evaluate it to the present date to see how outdated somebody is.
Fast Abstract – Find out how to Decide an Age from a Birthdate in Excel 2013
- Open Excel 2013.
- Kind a birthdate right into a cell within the format MM/DD/YYYY (if in the USA) or within the format DD/MM/YYYY in case your nation makes use of that format.
- Kind =DATEDIF(XX, TODAY(), “Y”) then press Enter in your keyboard. Change the “XX” a part of the system to the cell containing the birthdate.
For extra info, together with photos, proceed studying beneath for our expanded how-to information on calculating age in Excel.
Expanded – Find out how to Calculate Age in Excel 2013
The steps on this article have been carried out utilizing Microsoft Excel 2013, however can even work in most different variations of Excel. We will probably be utilizing a system, like this subtraction system in Excel, to perform this.
This information is targeted particularly on calculating the age in years based mostly on the entered birthdate, however we are going to embrace some modifiers for the system on the finish of the article if you wish to calculate age in days or months, or if you wish to show the age in years, months, and days.
Step 1: Open Excel 2013.
Step 2: Enter a birthdate right into a cell utilizing the format MM/DD/YYYY (United States) or DD/MM/YYYY in case your nation makes use of that date format as an alternative.
Step 3: Kind =DATEDIF(XX, Right this moment(), “Y”) into the cell the place you wish to show the age, then press Enter in your keyboard. Be sure you exchange the “XX” within the system with the cell location containing the birthdate.
- In case you enter the birthdate within the format specified above, Excel ought to be capable of decide mechanically that it’s a date. Nonetheless, in case you are utilizing a unique date format that Excel appears to be combating, or if the info is being formatted in another means, then right-click on the cell with the birthdate, select Format Cells, then select the Date possibility on the left aspect of the window and select the right format based mostly on how your knowledge is entered.
- In case you want to show the age in months, then modify the system to be =DATEDIF(XX, TODAY(), “M”)
- In case you want to show the age in days, then modify the system to be =DATEDIF(XX, TODAY(), “D”)
- In case you want to calculate what somebody’s age was on a selected date, both prior to now or sooner or later, then modify the system to be =DATEDIF(XX, “MM/DD/YYYY”, “Y”)
- Word that this system calculation is not going to work if the beginning date happens earlier than 01/01/1900.
The kind function in Excel is one other useful gizmo, and you need to use it to type columns with dates. Learn how to type by date in Excel if in case you have a necessity to take action.